Summary of Position: Docents will conduct guided tours of the Museum for groups of students and adults. Utilizing the techniques of dialogue and inquiry, role play and storytelling. Docents assist in the development of educational programs and conduct special activities for students, adults and families.
Qualifications: Willing to gain an understanding of the Canadian Fire Fighters Museum, its mission, vision, policies and procedures and programs. Docents must be enthusiastic, cheerful and willing to learn and should have an interest in working with people, especially students. They must be willing to become actively involved in the programs of the Museum. Experience or education in history, political science, art, or teaching can be helpful, although not required.
Reports To: Museum Curator, and Director of Volunteers
Primary Duties: Conduct programs by greeting the groups and leading the tours and programs
• Be involved in the evaluation of the groups and the programs
• Assist in the development of new programs
Training Provided: Docents complete an Introductory Training Course, study selected readings and accompany other docents on guided tours to gain knowledge and skills in leading groups.
Orientation to the facility and regular meetings with the Museum Curator and Director of Volunteers to plan activities, monitor progress and provide data, background information and problem solving support.
All Volunteers are responsible for submitting the following documents prior to the commencement of their volunteer work;
• Signed and completed Volunteer Application
• Completed Criminal Reference Check
• Signed Orientation/Guide Form
Time Commitment: minimum 3 hours per week preferred, minimum 3 month commitment
Ethics: As a volunteer member you make a commitment:
• To learn the extent of your role and carry it out fully
• To participate in a way that maintains the professionalism of Canadian Fire Fighters Museum
• To keep certain information confidential
Grounds for Termination: Failure to carry out assigned responsibilities
• Misrepresenting the Museum or its policies
• Breach of confidentiality
Contact Person: Museum Curator, and Director of Volunteers
Date Revised: July 2016
FILL OUT AN APPLICATION >>